Appeal Instructions

If you have had a trial and were found guilty, you have the right to appeal the Judge's decision. The appeal process can be a bit confusing for the pro se defendant.  At this time you may wish to consult with an attorney.  You do not need an attorney to appeal your matter.  The State of New Jersey publishes all the required information in a booklet entitled, "HOW TO APPEAL A MUNICIPAL COURT DECISION" . The Municipal Court can provide you with this booklet.

If you plan to file an appeal of your Municipal Court matter, you must file the appeal with the Middlesex County Superior Court (located in New Brunswick) within twenty (20) days of the original decision. You will be required to pay a filing fee as well as order a transcript of the trial.  All required steps for filing are outlined in the above mentioned booklet.  Your appeal will be scheduled through and heard at the Middlesex County Superior Court. If you need any further information you should contact Middlesex County Superior Court, Criminal Records, Case Management Office.