Piscataway Township Public Works Building
505 Sidney Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854
Covid-19 Inspection Precautions for MCCOs
To ensure the health and well-being of Township residents and employees during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the following changes have been made to inspections for Municipal Certificates of Continued Occupancy (MCCOs):
- Prior to an inspection, please notify our offices and the inspector if anyone residing at the premises has coronavirus symptoms, is under quarantine or has been exposed to someone diagnosed with or showing symptoms of the Covid-19 virus.
- Also prior to an inspection, the property must be vacated with the exception of one (1) property owner, occupant or agent giving access to the inspector. All other family members and occupants must either leave the premises or wait outside, away from doorways and other points of entry, until the inspector completes the inspection and leaves the premises.
- A cloth face covering, N95 mask (or equivalent) or surgical style mask that covers the entire mouth and nose must be worn at all times by the person providing access to the inspector.
- Everyone must maintain social distancing practices with the inspector by keeping at least six (6) feet away from him/her at all times.
If these precautions are not adhered, the inspector reserves the right to refuse to enter the premises or to leave the premises and not complete the inspection.
As of January 1, 2019, a Municipal Certificate of Continued Occupancy (MCCO) is required when selling or renting a home in Piscataway to ensure the health, safety and general welfare of residents.
The extensive checklist is used by inspectors and includes basic safety requirements such as working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors along with a fire extinguisher. While the listed items are not all inclusive, the checklist does enable Township inspectors to make sure that all proper state, county and municipal codes are being met. Please review this checklist before inspection so your home may be deemed satisfactory to be issued an MCCO.
If any work was performed without a permit and one was required, you will be required to obtain the permit and close any open permits before an MCCO will be issued.
For an appointment, please provide a completed MCCO application, either the Sale of Property Residential Application or the Residential Rental Application, along with the appropriate fee to the Housing Certificate of Occupancy office in the Public Works Building at 505 Sidney Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854.
We strongly recommend the application be submitted a minimum of four weeks prior to the closing date or four weeks prior to the occupancy date for rentals.
Inspections are Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:30-3:30 p.m. except for holidays. Inspectors will have a Township vehicle and photo identification card to present to homeowners before the inspection begins.
The fee schedule is as follows:
- MCCO – One or two family dwelling units : $150.00 per unit
- MCCO – Three or more dwelling units: $100.00 per unit
- Temporary MCCO - One or two family dwellings and multiple dwelling units $125.00 per unit
Re-inspection fee - One and two family dwelling: $100.00 per unit (3rd or any additional inspections)
Re-inspection fee - Multiple dwelling units: $100.00 per unit (2nd or any additional inspections)
Landlord registration - Landlords must provide a new registration every year to this office when renting out property along with an MCCO Residential Rental Application each time tenants change.