Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When is a construction permit required?
A: A construction permit is required for everything that is not considered an ordinary repair or maintenance. Permits are required for:

  • Additional gas appliances
  • Decks
  • Finishing basements
  • Gazebos
  • Hot tubs
  • New electrical wiring, service, water heater, boiler, air conditioning, or fireplace
  • New plumbing installations
  • Install or removal of a fuel tank
  • Raised patios
  • Rearrange plumbing system
  • Renovation to bathrooms & kitchens
  • Sheds
  • Swimming pools
  • Water heaters
Please note: This list is NOT all inclusive. If you have any questions, please contact us at (732) 562-2325.

Q: What projects do not require a permit?
A: Permits, notifications, and inspections are not required for ordinary repair work. The following is a list of ordinary repair work and does not require a permit:

Ordinary Building Maintenance: 

  • Floor Coverings - The replacement or installation of any flooring with new material.
  • Gutters & Leaders - The replacement of exterior rain water gutters and leaders.
  • Insulation - The installation of any roll or batt insulation when installed adjacent to or not more than one and a half inches from an interior finish.
  • Interior Finishes - Installation, repair, or replacement of any interior finishes of less than 25% of the wall area in any given room in a one- or two-family dwelling. This includes plastering and drywall installation.
  • Kitchen & Other Cabinetry - The repair or replacement of any kitchen and other cabinetry.
  • Moldings & Trim Work - The repair or replacement of any interior or exterior trim, decoration, or moldings.
  • Paint - Exterior and interior.
  • Roofing - The repair of existing roofing material not exceeding 25% of the total roof area within any 12 month period.
  • Screens - The replacement of installation of screens.
  • Siding - The repair of existing siding with like material not exceeding 25% of the total building exterior wall area within any 12 month period.
  • Wall Covering - Vinyl wall covering of any of any amount is ordinary maintenance.
  • Windows & Doors - The replacement of glass in any window or door; however, the replacement glass must be of a type and quality that complies with the minimum requirements of the Township code.
    • The installation and replacement of any window or door, including garage doors, in the same opening without altering the dimensions or framing of the original opening. 
Ordinary Electrical Maintenance
  • Equipment - Repairs to any installed electrically operated equipment such as doorbells, communication systems, and any motor-operated device; however, if fire protection systems are interrupted due to the repairs, the fire official must be notified in accordance with the building sub code.
    • Appliances - The replacement of domestic dishwashers
    • Communication Wiring - The installation of communications wiring for communication wiring in a class 3 structure, provided that the rearrangement does not involve penetration of a fire-related assembly and is not in a hazardous location as defined in Chapter 5 of the electrical sub code. 
      • Communications wiring is any wiring covered by Chapter 8 of the electrical sub code such as telephone, radio antenna, or coaxial cable TV wiring. Communications wiring also includes data circuits between computers / information technology equipment, which may be classified as "communications circuits," in accordance with Article 725 of the electrical sub code.
    • Kitchen Range Hood - The replacement of kitchen range hoods in single family dwellings.
  • Fixtures, Switches, & Receptacles - The replacement of any receptacle, switch, or lighting fixture rated at 20 amps or less and operating at less than 150 volts to ground with a like or similar item, including receptacles in locations where ground-fault circuit interrupter protection is required.
Ordinary Fire Protection Maintenance

  • Equipment Devices - The replacement of any sprinkler or smoke detector or heat detector head with a like device.
    • Fire Alarm / Smoke & Heat Detector - The repair or replacement of any component of a fire alarm or smoke and heat detection equipment (other than the replacement of a fire alarm control panel).
    • The installation of battery-powered smoke detectors and the installation of battery-powered or plug-in type carbon monoxide alarms.
Ordinary Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Maintenance

  • Air Conditioning - The repair of air conditioning equipment and systems.
  • Clothes Dryers - The replacement of clothes dryers serving and located within dwelling units, provided there is no change in fuel type, location, or other electrical characteristics is required.
  • Distribution - The repair and replacement of heating, supply, and return piping and radiation elements, which does not require rearrangement of the piping system.
  • Duct Work - The repair and replacement of duct work.
  • Equipment - The replacement of motors, pumps, and fans of the same capacity.
  • Stoves & Ovens - The replacement of stoves and ovens in dwelling units, provided there is no change in fuel type, location, or other electrical characteristics is required.
  • Thermostats - The repair or replacement of control devices for heating and air conditioning equipment.
Ordinary Plumbing Maintenance

  • Appliances - The replacement of domestic clothes washers and dishwashers.
  • Clearance of stoppages.
  • Faucets - The replacement of faucets or working parts of faucets.
  • Fixtures - The replacement of a water closet, and/or lavatory, and/or bathtub or shower unit, and/or kitchen sink in a single family dwelling with an approved similar fixture provided that no change in the piping arrangement is made. 
    • Replacement water closets bearing a date stamp of July 1, 1991 or later must use an average of 1.6 gallons or less of water per flushing cycle.
  • Hose Bib - The replacement of hose bib valves in single family dwellings. Replacement hose bib valves shall be provided with an approved atmospheric vacuum breaker.
  • Repair of leaks involving the replacement of piping between two adjacent joints only.
  • Traps - The replacement of traps, except for traps on culinary sinks in food-handling establishments.
  • Valves - The replacement of valves (including shower or combination bath/shower valves in a single family dwelling). Replacements of working parts of valves including, but not limited to: shower or combination bath/shower valves.
    • Replacement of ballcocks. Replacement ballcocks must be an approved anti-siphon type.
Please note: This list is NOT all inclusive. If you have any questions, please contact us at (732) 562-2325.

Q: What happens if I get caught working without a permit?
A: A penalty of $2,000 is assessed and any work done may be required to be removed.

Q: How long does it take to obtain a construction permit?
A: This depends on the project. If prior approvals (Zoning, Engineering, Health, etc.) are not required, a minimum of 20 business days should be planned for processing applications.

Q: How much does the construction permit cost?
A: Permits are charged based on the project and in accordance with the construction code fee schedule, which can be found in the Township Code - Chapter 14, Section 1.3

Q: When I schedule an inspection, can I get an appointment?
A: No. Every inspection is unique and some take longer than others. When we schedule the inspections, we give you the next available day. Inspections are conducted Monday through Friday from 9:45 AM - 3:15 PM.

Q: What if I have an old permit that never got inspected?
A: Call the Building Division at (732) 562-2325 and get the inspections. No penalty will be incurred. If you are cited for not obtaining final inspections, the penalty is $2,000.