DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS (DPW)
RECYCLING & SOLID WASTE DIVISION
The Division of Recycling and Solid Waste is responsible for overseeing the various sanitation operations that Piscataway administers. This includes management of the Recycling/Trash Center (Mini-Dump), located adjacent to the public works building. The Division also performs trash cleanup of illegally dumped refuse within Township properties and right-of-ways.
The Recycling and Solid Waste Division provides the following services:
- Recycling/Trash Center (Mini-Dump), click here for schedules and for detailed information.
GRASS COUPONS ARE REQUIRED FOR DISPOSAL OF GRASS AND ARE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AT THE TAX COLLECTORS OFFICE IN THE MUNICIPAL BUILDING BETWEEN 8:30AM - 12:30PM AND FROM 1:30PM - 4:30PM. COST PER COUPON IS $1.00 EACH. MINIMUM PURCHASE IS TWO (2) COUPONS. EACH COUPON IS GOOD FOR A 35-GALLON CONTAINER OR BAG. LARGER CONTAINERS WILL REQUIRE TWO (2) OR MORE COUPONS DEPENDING ON SIZE. COUPONS ARE ONLY VALID FOR THE YEAR IN WHICH THEY HAVE BEEN ISSUED; THE YEAR IS CLEARLY NOTED ON THE COUPON. PLEASE ONLY PURCHASE ENOUGH COUPONS THAT YOU WILL USE IN THE CURRENT YEAR AS YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO UTILIZE THESE COUPONS IN FUTURE YEARS. GRASS COUPONS ARE REDEEMABLE FROM APRIL - SEPTEMBER 30.
- Curbside Bulk Trash and Branch Pickup, click here for detailed information.
- Curbside Leaf Pickup & Leaf Bags. In the fall (mid-October thru December), the Division is responsible for maintaining supplies and distributing biodegradable leaf bags to homeowners. The Township policy is that homeowners may acquire two bundles of twenty leaf bags. Additional bundles of twenty bags shall be at a cost of $6.00 the cost of which is subject to change each season as market forces dictate. Leaf bags will be available until December 16. During this same period the Division of Recycling and Solid Waste also collects filled leaf bags from curbside.
- Christmas/Holiday Trees will not be picked up. Please take them to your local Firehouse.
- Household trash within the Township of Piscataway is picked up through private trash haulers which residents must retain.
- Curbside Recycling Pickup is performed by the Middlesex County Improvement Authority. Each household is given one round recycling can for bottles, cans and plastic and one square recycling can for paper. Additional cans are available at the Department of Public Works office at a price of $10.05 for the round can and $9.99 for the square can. For more information visit the Middlesex County Improvement Authority. To get Piscataway curbside recycling collection schedule, follow these instructions:
- Click here to go to Middlesex County Improvement Authority website.
- Select "Curbside Schedules" from RECYCLING in left menu.
- Click "Piscataway" to get the Piscataway curbside collection schedule.
Citizens noting any concerns under the jurisdiction of the Recycling and Solid Waste Division may call 732-562-2390 or the Middlesex County Improvement Authority recycling hot line 800-488-6242 for curbside recycling issues.